2014 is slowly but surely coming to a close. We are in the midst of the holiday season which means that it’s about that time to reflect and call to mind all that we have to be thankful for. It is important to do this for many reasons…to recollect all that you have, more so the immaterial things like opportunities and experiences, and in turn gaining a little perspective…
I’ve done my reflecting and here is what I came up with:
1. Family. Right right, cliché I know. However, they’re pretty fucking amazing people. & knowing people who lack the amazing[ness] trait in their families makes me feel even more fortunate. The amount of love and support can be almost overwhelming at times and I can’t imagine a day without it.
2. Friends…and even acquaintances…because acquaintances can be just as much fun as friends during late night shenanigans, am I right? Also, having friends that listen to my bullshit with an open and understanding mind is a gift in itself. Love. You. All.
3. Musical ability. The older I get the more grateful I become, I swear. Reflecting on my journey as a musician blows my mind sometimes. Experiences like Carnegie Hall with my orchestra to really rad venues with my band has given me some of the most memorable moments of my life thus far. In addition to this I’ve been able to share my love of violin with elementary school kids as a volunteer through an after school program-and what an inspiring opportunity it has been.
4. Education. I wish I could remain a student forever because learning is what I love. While this isn’t realistic, I am certain that my education will in time give me a career in a setting where I can continue to learn. The opportunity to receive a higher level education alone is something I am thankful for every single time I send an application or receive an interview.
On a less serious note I’m thankful for…
1. Cheap ass rent-because an hourly wage slightly higher than the min would not cut it otherwise.
2. A car that runs-while it sounds like it’s falling apart (probably because it is), it gets me from A to B.
3. Living with men-because there ain’t no drama in this house, ain’t none at all.
4. A low alcohol tolerance (no shame)-because I know that in the end my liver will be thanking me.
Anytime is the perfect time to reflect.